A Primitive Curiosity

A Primitive Curiosity

Thursday, June 12, 2014

Utah Trip

May was an incredibly busy month. Between moving to a new apartment and travelling for work I managed to still have a bit of fun.

In the middle of the month, I got to take a trip to the Manti La-Sal and Fishlake National Forests for work. These trips are always a bit whirlwind, but I had a day off and got to see some really neat stuff.

I went to the prehistoric museum in Price, UT on Saturday morning and saw some really cool fossils and Fremont culture artifacts.


After lunch I took the drive out to Ninemile Canyon to see the petroglyphs, including The Great Hunt, which is a significant piece of rock art that details a very specific set of environmental circumstances. In the depiction there are male, female and yearling sheep along with hunters and blinds. This is really interesting because this art is not conceptual, or abstract, but represents a specific point in space and time. That's a rad thing to ponder if you are trying to get inside the head of a long dead Fremont hunter. 

While I was walking around on a ledge trying to catch my breath after a steep hill (apparently I have gotten soft living at 200ft above sea leavel) I saw a chert flake on the ground and was stoked to see that it was a secondary reduction flake that was a beautiful semi-transparent red-brown. 




It seems like it is always worth it to spend the extra effort to get out and about when I'm travelling for work. Sometimes it's the last thing I want to do at the end of a long day or week, but I have never regretted it.

No comments:

Post a Comment